Thursday, October 12, 2006

. . . AND NOW, SOME ANNOUNCERS I ACTUALLY LIKE

I accidentally tuned into a New York DiPietros game the other night, and I was shocked to hear Jiggs McDonald doing the play-by-play. The last time I heard his voice, he was on SportsChannel announcing the Patrick Division winning Islanders as they upset the Penguins in 1993. Rob thought he was dead, but apparently he's subbing for Howie Rose while the Mets are still in the playoffs.

Bob Sheppard is apparently no longer doing PA announcements at Giants games (he retired after the playoffs in January), although his replacement Jim Hall (and his backup for the past 40 years) sounds EXACTLY LIKE HIM.

I just found this out: in their ongoing effort to prove they know nothing about sports broadcasting, FOX SportsNet fired Mike "Voice of the Penguins" Lange. He's the announcer that brought you such phrases as "Scratch my back with a hacksaw" and "Get in the fast lane Grandma, this bingo game is about to roll!" What a dumb move.

I hate to admit it, but I missed Doc Emrick. You know fall is here when you feel that chill in the air, the laves start to turn, and you hear the first "OOHHHH AND A SAVE MADE BY BRODEURRRRRR!" Must be hockey season!

While we're at it, can we get a nightly NHL highlight show somewhere? ESPN2 used to have one, back before they sucked and starting showing nothing but poker and billiards. How about it, OLN--uhm, Versus? I hear TSN does one every night, how about you show that instead of Extreme Rodeo clips? Or is that too Canadian for you?

No comments: