Friday, July 11, 2008

IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE


View Larger Map

I'm posting this information in case something happens to me.

You see, I'm attending a family reunion this weekend in the upstate New York's Catskill Mountains in a town called "Big Indian". I can only assume it was named that after a rather large Native American who used to oversee these lands, before the U.S. Government "relocated" him. Alternatively, maybe some tall guy from Bangalore recently bought the place. Whatever the origin of the name it doesn't change the fact that it's in the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE.

There's something to be said for being far from civilization, but I'm not sure this really qualifies. After all we'll have running water, beds, electricity and refrigerators (filled with beer, hopefully), and as there are paved roads leading almost all the way up to the house it's not exactly "roughing it". It's merely an area of the state sporting a surplus of trees and bugs, and lacking reliable cell phone service or convenience stores. But I'm okay with that. For two nights. Maximum.

Last time I was here two years ago I recall thinking, "If you had to hide a body, this would be an ideal place for it." That's why I'm typing this. I've been known to put my foot in my mouth, and I occasionally come off as dickish to people who don't know me. I may say the wrong thing this weekend (like, "What you do mean, you don't have any ice? How am I supposed to keep my Belgian beer cold, you dumb redneck?") and end up in a ditch somewhere. So if you don't hear from me next week, the area surrounding the house we rented out is where to tell the police to send a search party.

Have a great weekend! Hope to see you here next week . . .

No comments: