Thursday, January 19, 2006

HIGH JEFFINITION IS FINALLY HERE

Well, a mere 11 months and 6 days since this whole thing was started, HighJeffinition is finally here! As you may or may not know, I bought the Sharp 32" widescreen LCD TV on January 7th, and although DVDs look great on it, I have been patiently waiting for some sort of HD broadcast signal to really test it out.

The bottom line: it was worth the wait.

I got the C*vision HD box yesterday, and watched a few shows in HD last night, and it looked fantastic. It's a whole different world, especially when you compare it to the SD analog channels (2-99), which look positively horrible by comparison (note: they shouldn't be allowed to call it "digital cable" since less than half of the channels are actually digital). What I didn't expect is that some shows were actually FUNNIER in HD as well, like "The Office" and "My Name Is Earl". Heck, even Jay Leno was funny last night--wait, that's crazy talk, it was probably because Albert "Hank Scorpio" Brooks was on. (The clear picture only makes you realize how garishly ugly the "Tonight Show" set is, though.)

I can't give you a "full" review because the idiots at C*vision only gave me access to the local HD channels for some reason, and none of the "digital cable" channels or the HD sports channels (the latter will be the true test, especially watching hockey in widescreen splendor). At least this weekend there are a couple of football games on local TV, and hopefully this will get this worked out in time for "The Sopranos" and the Olympics in HD, coming soon to a home theater near me.

So it looks like I'm going to host a party on Xtra-Large Game Sunday (name changed so I don't get sued), on Jeffuary 5th, 2006!!! This time, my TV will NOT have a knob.

It's an entirely different kind of watching, altogether.

No comments: