Sunday, January 15, 2006

REMOVING YOU FROM YOUR MONEY FOR OVER 96 YEARS!

P.C. Richard & Son, a NYC based appliance/electronics/computer store, claims to be serving the area "Since 1909". What the hell were they selling in 1909? I think that when they opened their doors 96 years ago, we would have to rule out most major appliances, computers, and much of what currently runs on electricity. I was envisioning a typical sale at the store in the early years:

"So Jeremiah, this two-way telegraph appears to be of superior construct, I shall purchase it. But whatever shall I do if it craps out in a mere six months time?"

"Silas, your concern is most credible. For a mere pittance of not more than 50% of the retail price, we can augment the warantee until after the harvest, if it pleases you."

"A capital idea, this 'extended warantee' of which you speak. Apply said charge to my order, for nothing can be lost with such insurance! When are those new kinetophones due to arrive?"

"Sadly, Edison has suspended work on them. However, might I interest you in something the General Electric Corporation has named an 'infrared radiation electric toasting machine', which heats and browns slices of bread in a most appealing way to compliment one's morning tea."

"Outstanding! Prithee, do you carry such a machine in blue, to match my drapes?"

No comments: