Wednesday, October 10, 2007

WELCOME TO THE 2007-08 NHL SEASON (THAT'S ICE HOCKEY, BY THE WAY)

Hey, guess what? The NHL is back! That's right, the 2007-08 season is already underway! No, really, I just checked. You haven't heard anything? That strikes me as strange, since the commissioner of the league is a supposed marketing guru. Interesting.

In case you were wondering, NHL.tv's CENTER/CENTRE ICE ONLINE is a crock. Though they gave the impression that you get unlimited access to hockey games, during the free preview most games were blacked out for no apparent reason. In fact, Vancouver and Calgary was blacked out for those with New York addresses, and since we border Canada we're practically in Alberta. The price? $149 if you sign up before October 19 (when it goes up to $169). You've got to be joking. I hope this includes the TV version too. Everything that MLB.com has done well, the NHL.tv has managed to screw up, making this a missed opportunity if ever there was one. As always, Bettman sucks.

Now let's talk some LOCAL PUCKAGE!

Florida Panthers Brett McLean (L) looks for a rebound as New Jersey Devils goaltender Kevin Weekes falls to the ice during first period NHL ice hockey game in Sunrise, Florida, October 6, 2007. REUTERS/Hans Deryk (UNITED STATES)Devils backup goalie Kevin Weekes, called into action due to Marty having "personal business" to attend to, was peppered with 21 shots IN THE FIRST PERIOD in Florida on Saturday, yet still got the Devils first (and, so far, only) win of the season. While their offense is young and better than most think (no, I don't miss the injured Langenbrunner, who never impressed me), I do think this Devils defense is its biggest weakness. Oduya? Yes, yes I do, though I do like Oduya. Personally, I don't see them as falling off as much as others do, but they will have more trouble winning games. Sutter has them forechecking more than I've ever seen, so maybe there's an adjustment period for them. Let's just hope they get into the playoffs and Marty is rested enough to make a run for it.

New Islander Bill Guerin already has 5 assists in the two games against Buffalo to start the season. Not bad, but I don't think this alone will get the Isles back in the playoffs. However, let's see if the Islanders can continue their dominance over the Rangers with tonight's matchup.

The Rangers' Steve Avery is already out for a substantial amount of time wih a separated shoulder after getting cleanly checked by Chris Neil on Saturday. Sure, Buffalo fans like Kris The Biggest Sabres Fan In France might agree that Neil Sucks Ass, but there was nothing dirty about this elbowing. This is a considerable loss, since Avery is not only a pest, but more talented than most people realize. Still, this is a deep team. Not sure why Jagr is matched up with Straka again instead of the newest Devil in A Blue Shirt Scotty Gomez--wasn't that the whole point of getting him in the first place?

Here's my BLOGNOSTICATIONS for the 2007-08 season (postseason contenders listed in order of blognosticated finish):

Campbell Conference: Detroit, San Jose, Anaheim, Minnesota, Vancouver, Colorado, Edmonton, Calgary.
Yeah, I picked a lot of Canadian teams, but that's the way it should be. I picked San Jose to win it all last year, so that shows you how much I know. But the Wings, damn them they're going to be good again.
Most improved: Colorado. And Mike Keenan in Calgary should be interesting . . . for a while.
#9: St Louis. So close, and yet so far.

Wales Conference: Ottawa, NY Rangers, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Washington, Toronto, New Jersey, Boston. Ottawa is going to run away with that division, and possibly the league, though I have no doubt they'll find some way to blow it in the postseason.
Most improved: Boston, riding the coattails of the Patriots' championship in February, will finally make the playoffs, validating Claude Julien's existence. There were so many choices for that #8 team, I could have easily put in Tampa Bay, Carolina or Atlanta but I didn't because I'm sick of the damn southern teams. Plus, I want to see the Bruins turn this thing around (even more than I want to see the Red Sox lose to the Indians this week). And yes, I put NYR vs. NJ for the 2/7 first round matchup, because I'm cheeky like that.
#9: Philly. They're going to strike out more than Ryan Howard this year! One can only hope, anyway.

Okay, I've got to run to watch the Rangers play the Isles @ the Mausoleum. POTVIN SUCKS!

No comments: