Monday, July 10, 2006

BEST SUMMER BREW™ REVIEW: GOOSE ISLAND SUMMERTIME

Goose Island SummertimeIn my possibly neverending search for the Best Summer Brew™, I realize that the New York area may not be big enough, and I will eventually have to expand my drink radius. So I proactively booked a flight to Chicago during the July 4th weekend just for this reason (well, that and to visit a friend out there for the first time in a decade), and I quickly discovered the Goose Island Beer Company's summertime creation called, well, Goose Island Summertime. The side of the tap informed me that this was a German Kölsch style beer, and I don't know what that means but anything with an umlaut must be respected, at the very least.

Poured into a frosted pint glass, this brew was a cloudy, golden colored concoction with a short-lived head. The first few cold sips were quite enjoyable, and eventually I was able to taste some light spice notes and lemon flavors. This one finished with a crisp, refreshing bite, unlike some other beers of its ilk that I've sampled. Pleasant drinking, not sweet, and no aftertaste.

Honestly, the situation surrounding my tasting of this brew helped to enhance my enjoyment; it was a hot day, and the Northside Tavern in the Wicker Park neighborhood of Chicago was not only offering this brew at an unbeatable $3.50 a pint, but they were also showing the city's two baseball teams in widescreen HD pummel each other senseless, en route to a 15-11 Cubs win). On top of that, the pulchritudinous female waitstaff rivaled that of Bourbon Street in Nyack, I daresay.

In closing, this was easy to drink, and hard to stop at just one. I give this a 6.


P.S. I also had a bottle of Goose Island Honkers Ale at O'Hare Airport on my way home, but because it was $7 at some abortion of a restaurant called "Chili's Too", it was less than satisfying and will not be rated here.

No comments: