Monday, July 17, 2006

BEST SUMMER BREW™ REVIEW: LA BECASSE FRAMBOISE

I'm not going to waste your time with an image of this beer, and I'm not going to waste [much] time with this review.

La Becasse (the Woodcock) (AKA: Belle-Vue Framboise in the USA) is a Raspberry Lambic from Belgium and it is now an InBev production. After tasting La Choulette Framboise, I decided to taste some other raspberry-flavored beers, because I was quite happy with La Choulette. La Becasse can be had in the supermarket for about the equivalent of $3.50 for a 6-pack. It would be easier and more economical if I could buy this and be as happy with the brew as with La Choulette. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

Holy sweetness, Batman. La Becasse Framboise is too sweet. I can't tell you about the flavor, I can't tell you about the aftertaste, I can't tell you about the mouthfeel. It's liquid sugar, and that's not what I want for the summer. I shared a couple of bottles of these with Julie at the beach and we could [barely] finish them.

Sorry, InBev, but "The Woodcock" doesn't fly here.

1 star 'cause I didn't throw up (in my mouth or otherwise). (It does manage a 43rd percentile on Ratebeer.com)

No comments: