Saturday, December 2, 2006

FOOTBALL NOTES: DUCK FALLAS!

The New York Giants are a disgusting mess of a football team. I think we pretty much knew this before the season started, but now it's finally come to a head and is out there on display for everyone to see. Losing last week's game to the Titans after blowing a 21 point lead in the final 10 minutes, something only done twice before in the regular season, was just the shitty icing on top of a rotten cake. I didn't see this game first hand, though; I've developed an aversion to their horrible ineptitude, and decided instead to go food shopping. It's not something I normally enjoy, but I think I made the right choice.

But it seems that people no longer talk about football anymore, only the associated garbage that surrounds it. Every day another stupid quote comes out of a Giants player's ego-tastic mouth, and every day they print it/replay it/discuss it, ad nauseum. So you're saying that an ATHLETE said something STUPID? What are the odds? And this is NEWS? I'll say it again: NOBODY GIVES A SHIT! Seriously, do you think the players are actually fired up by anything the newspaper prints, or sports talk media blathers on about? These guys are PROFESSIONALS, not junior high schoolers, THEY COULDN'T CARE LESS ABOUT THIS SHIT. Half of these guys JOKE AROUND and HUG each other after the game. It's all for entertainment, it's all for show, and it's all a waste of time, especially since all they come off as are arrogant bullies that can't back it up on the field.

Speaking of, as has been true since the dawn of time, the only thing that matters is what happens on the field. In that aspect General Coughlin NO LONGER HAS THE RESPECT OF HIS OWN PLAYERS, and hopefully soon he will be shown the door. Let's face it: GM Ernie Accorsi's little experiment didn't work, and once he fires the coach and he himself resigns, only then can this team regroup and hope to rebuild. (Of course, we'll still be stuck with Eli, but that's a different story.) When I said this team would finish 8-8 and miss the playoffs, it turns out that that's probably the BEST they can do now. But although they've suffered key injuries, they're also doing little but bicker amongst themselves while they piss away the NFC East (which looked like Philly's until McNabb's season ending injury) to the Dallas Cowboys.

Ah, the Cowboys: how do I hate them? Let me count the ways, just off the top of my head: Bill Parcells, Michael Irvin's racist comments, T.O.'s fake suicide, Emmitt's big gay dance-a-thon, sportswriters going homo for Romo--and that's just in the past 2 months. Well, get used to them because they're going to be on TV every week from now until the end of the season! Yeeeeee hawwwww! Here's the remaining schedule:

Sunday 12/3 (@ GIANTS, 4:15 PM), Sunday Night 12/10 (vs. NO, 8:15 PM), Saturday 12/16 (@ ATL, 8 PM), even on freaking Christmas night (vs. PHI 5 PM). The only reprieve will be if the Raiders/Jets game successfully blocks FOX from showing their 1 PM game @ DET on New Years Eve . . . but NBC will probably pick that as their Sunday Night flex game, just to screw with my head.

So during this season of peace on earth and goodwill towards men, let me take a moment to say: DUCK FALLAS!

NFL UPSET SPECIAL: I would love to pick Tennessee beating the Colts, as revenge for that DirecTV commercial where Peyton "Laser Rocket Arm" Manning essentially says, "I'm blowing out these losers, so why don't you change the channel and watch my brother Eli, oh excuse me I'm going to throw another TD against these punks!" But I think that will actually happen on Sunday. So here you are: Seattle (+4) over DENVER (two teams who are also on in prime time way too often).

No comments: