Wednesday, May 7, 2008

RANDOM YOUTUBERY: THE BELGIAN TOM WAITS

I may have talked about this guy, Arno, before. I can't remember. Anyway, I've got a French friend that likes Tom a lot and he had been telling me that I had to listen to Arno because it was good music and resembled Tom Waits without being a blatant copy of him. The problem with French-language singers is that it's hard to share with Americans because we like to "understand" the words. My favorite song by Arno is "Dans les yeux de ma mère" (In My Mother's Eyes). It's in French, but Babelfish can automatically [almost-]translate the lyrics (it's actually not too bad for an automatic translation).

Anyway, flipping around Youtube, I found a version by Arno of "Mother's Little Helper" (he does seem to have a bit of an Oedipus thing going on). If you can past by the the French/Belgian accent, you can see why he's been compared to Tom Waits.




He may have a small drinking problem. Just a possibility mind you.

No comments: