Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Doing my part, however insignificant

Jeff's really been doing all the work lately, so I guess I'll chime in on a couple topics.

I like the way the NHL officials have been calling games this season, the games are fun to watch again. Sometimes, they call it a bit too close, but I'm willing to accept that in order to have the game played the way it was meant to be played. But during tonights Rangers - Islanders game, the referee made a pair of calls that were just stellar. During a Rangers power play, Marik Malik was called for hooking. A replay showed, and this is not the least bit exaggerated, he did not even make contact with the Islander player. I guess the ref thought twice about it, and decided it was a shitty call. He then called an Islander player, chosen, from what I can see, totally at random, for interference. Matching penalties, no loss of manpower. And just like that, two wrongs can make a right.

Why, suddenly, are so many prducts named "fusion"? Gillette fusion, Ford fusion, Callaway fusion driver. There are probably others. None of these products, it should be noted, actually achieves fusion, despite having R&D budgets that dwarf Princetons tokamak reactor project. Hell, the Ford is gasoline powered and produces a meager 12 volts DC. Does the average person even know what fusion is, or believe that it will produce a closer shave or longer drives?

I haven't watched it yet, but there is a new show on the FOX network that sounds promising. It's called "Parental Discretion Advised" and it is on every night at various times. I'm hoping it's an understated, British style comedy, with the biting social satire we've come expect from FOX. Maybe John Cleese will make an appearance!

Story from cnn.com: An American Muslim was sentenced Wednesday to 30 years in prison for joining al Qaeda and plotting to assassinate President Bush

Ever heard the expression "no jury would convict me"? I'll bet he was thinking that.