Monday, April 17, 2006

I WANT YOU IN MY REARVIEW MIRROR

I can't tell you how many times I've driven in New Jersey, just minding my own business, when all of the sudden someone is right on my ass in my rearview mirror--this is how the Rangers must feel. Suddenly, the Devils are 1 point behind them with 1 game to play, after reeling off 10 wins in a row, and are trying to pass them in the breakdown lane. I hate when that happens. NY is at 100 points and holding, and will need to beat the Hasek-less Ottawa team Tuesday night to fend off both the Flyers and Devils (each at 99 points) to secure the Atlantic Division. It's funny how many frustrated Rangers fans are threatening to jump off the bandwagon after a 4 game losing streak, when they should really just be grateful that they're in the playoffs at all. Anyway, we'll find out if the Rangers get out of the fast lane, and let the Flyers and Devils pass them.

The East seedings are of course still up in the air, but if it should turn out to be Rangers/Devils, the tickets (currently on sale) should sell out immediately after the games conclude on Tuesday. NHL PLAYOFFS START FRIDAY. (Thankfully, the shootout will not be featured.)

UBIQUITOUS FOOD TREND THAT I'M OFFICIALLY SICK OF. In past years, it was the sundried tomato, balsamic vinegar, or goat cheese--ingredients that you simply couldn't escape. Last year, an inordinate number of dishes were garnished with asiago cheese. This year, chipotle is officially the most annoying food trend/ingredient. Enough already, it's played out.

EASTER MONDAY? Can anyone tell me why the "White House Easter Egg Roll" is held the day after Easter? No, I didn't think so. That's the government for you.

RECYCLING AWARD. To Hershey Foods, for coming up with candy coated Twizzlers bits for Easter, tiny chunks of licorice covered with different colored shells that made them look like irregular jellybeans. I guarantee someone came up with this as a way to recycle the little pieces of licorice left over during the manufacturing process, to cut down on the amount of waste. Genius! This "repurposing" is almost as insidious as the chicken nugget.

LOW POINT FOR VIDEOGAMES? I enjoy a good videogame every once in a while, and though I realize that everyone has different tastes, I have no idea who is clamoring for Rumble Roses XX, a wrestling game featuring scantily clad women. Okay, I understand the appeal, since the game features plenty of girl-on-girl action . . . but for some reason this chick is wrestling a panda. I have no idea why. Who is paying $60 for this? Even horny 13 year olds would probably find this silly.


View more screenshots for Rumble Roses XX

No comments: