Thursday, June 29, 2006

BEST SUMMER BREW™ REVIEW: DELIRIUM NOCTURNUM (UPDATE)

(Update 1: 11:46pm - Jeff wanted a picture of the beer, and generously sent me a picture of said beer, but me, after reading of McCain and Feingold's new restaurant and their great strides towards transparency and "truth," have decided that whenever possible, I will try to post a picture of me with the beer. I could say that I tasted Trappist Westvleteren, but that's probably not going to happen any time soon. That's right folks, Open Hockey, your new homepage for integrity in blogging).

I'm pretty sure that this means the beer will make you delirious at night in one of these European languages and I'm pretty sure I know why (the dancing pink elephant on the bottle, helped me determine this as well). At 9% abv, this stuff has as much alcohol as nearly 2 pints of Guinness, and it shows.

Pouring this reveals a very dark, nut brown colored liquid with a large foamy head that is off white. Its olfactory properties include hints of nutmeg and other spices that I can not describe in words. It also smells of alcohol. This stuff is like wine. Thick and sweet is the name of the game once you taste it. The mouthfeel is...well, I don't know, I just wanted to get the word "mouthfeel" into this review. Strong, strong alcohol taste that does little to convince this drinker to "drink."

I'm sure this beer rates well on ratebeer.com and the beer advocate because it is a well developed Belgian triple, but as a summer beer I can only say, no way.

It's undoubtably a good beer, but I wasn't in the mind set for it. I should've had something lighter (like a Guinness). In any case, I don't want to skew the ratings against this beer too much. On the one to 10 thumbs-up scale, I give it a 7.

No comments: