Monday, April 14, 2008

THINGS I DON'T HATE: THE BLACK KEYS

I acquired the new Black Keys album, since I like them quite a bit. I'd heard Strange Times, when Jeff emailed around an mp3 link. I think you can listen to it over on the right hand side of the blog---------------------------------->
If not, here's the Youtubery for it. I'm not really sure what to make of that song. It's a little weird and a definite departure from their old Delta stripper blues-rock (if you don't know what I'm talking about, it's not what you think). I like it, but I don't love it.

But now I've been listening to rest of the album, and the last cut is, in my opinion, fucking brilliant. It keeps the same bluesy style from before, but adds to it. Danger Mouse's influence has made Dan's voice sound less harsh, but equally gritty. Jessica Lea Mayfield (holy shit, I just linked MySpace...fuck, I hate myself) singing backup makes for a nice little contrast.

We can only wonder what Ike Turner would've done for this album if he hadn't snorted himself to hell.

Anyway, this isn't Pitchfork, so you have to deal with those 10 lines.



[Youtube: The Black Keys; Things Ain't Like They Used to Be]

1 comment:

Jeff K said...

Just so the RIAA doesn't accuse me of sending around free links and throw me in prison, I just bought with my hard-earned money Attack & Release on Amazon MP3 for $8.99 (their 'Buy MP3 Album with 1-Click®' is dangerous, especially right after coming home from the bar). Though it's no Rubber Factory (what is?) I really enjoyed the album on my first listen-through . . . and then backed up to hear "Things Ain't Like They Used To Be" again. I agree, it's a fantastic bluesy and wistful closing song. Overall, this album shows them stretching out a little musically without completely abandoning their sound.

I'm really looking forward to seeing them in concert in May. (Does anyone know how many people they tour with?)